- December 23, 2013
DO YOU NEED A R&D EE PROBLEM SOLVER?
Summary of Qualifications
- 20 years of experience covering all phases of the instrumentation business including service, sales support, design, and manufacturing
- Demonstrated oversight and leadership of high-performing development teams
- Veteran of small, high-growth, highly agile instrumentation organizations
- Commitment to continuous professional improvement
- Engineering skill-set specific to electro/mechanical/optical instrumentation
CONFIDENTIAL Jan 2011 – Present
Founder and CEO
CONFIDENTIAL has a mission to provide best-in-class electro-optic instruments to university researchers. Capitalization – $500k.
Products include CCD/DSP camera systems for use in Magnetic Resonance Imaging and multi-input/multi-output absorbance spectrometers used for functional human cortex imaging (fNIRS).
University of Texas at Dallas May 2008 – Dec 2010
Position held during work on doctoral degree in Electrical Engineering.
Authentix Inc. ~ Addison, Texas, $35M Annual Sales
Company Principal Engineer April 2003 – May 2008
Reporting to VP of Global Operations, oversaw team responsible for development and manufacturing of electronic instruments used for optical detection of anti-counterfeiting markers. Instruments included optical/fluidic systems for detection of chemiluminescence, fluorescence spectroscopy for both liquids and dry surfaces, and marker detection at stand-off-distances.
Markets served included upstream and downstream oil and gas, pharmaceutical, high-end consumer and government.
- Three international design awards for instrumentation products.
- $16M contract for multi-spectral line camera for Federal Reserve Bank
- Developed instruments for the FBI’s Electro-Optics group.
- Designed a fuel testing device now deployed in over 20 countries.
- Created a product to optically authenticate pharmaceuticals through bottle cap.
- Deployed handheld reader for phosphors based on decay time measurement.
Independent Developer ~ Arlington, Texas
Instrumentation Development Engineer Jan 2002 – April 2003
After earning MSEE in Dec 2001, independently designed electronic instruments.
Milltronics Inc. ~ Arlington, Texas, $100M Annual Sales.
13 years with increasing levels of responsibility for recognized leader in municipal and industrial instrumentation. Markets served included water and wastewater treatment, food and beverage, mining, aggregate, and cement.
Product Launch Contractor July 1997 – Jan 2000
Developed materials that comprehensively detailed product parameters, compared competitive activity, targeted specific clients and outlined technical considerations.
Product Marketing Manager May 1995 – July 1997
- Held P&L responsibility for the water/wastewater product line ($18M/yr).
- Drove entry into the competitive radar level gauge market through ideation of algorithms enabling robust radar measurement gauges.
- Drove Stage-Gate product development process to efficiently manage the flow of products through ideation, selection, R&D and Product Launch.
Product Engineer June 1993 – May 1995
Coordinated effective and productive teams that identified and engineered systems solutions for clients worldwide. Conducted field demonstrations, created custom designs and formulated statistical modeling.
- Training of City of Detroit engineers in proper ultrasonic instrument application led to successful capture of $2M contract.
- Captured $500,000 sale of over 200 ultrasonic gauges by developing an algorithm enabling non-contact weight measurement of beans at Maxwell-House’s coffee production plant.
Applications Engineer Jan 1990 – June 1993
Conducted feasibility analyses on hundreds of individual measurement applications to ensure complete client satisfaction.
- Found unique and innovative applications solutions for clients during pre-sales projects and proposals.
- Led the technical training team during this time. Performed an average of four, one week in-house training sessions for customers and new sales reps per year, and approximately 10 off-site training sessions per year.
Field Service Engineer Jan 1987 – Jan 1990
Provided instrumentation startup and troubleshooting services worldwide.
United States Air Force ~ Texas, California
Second Lieutenant Jan 1986 – Nov 1986
Graduated OTS. Security clearance. Honorably discharged from flying training.
University of Texas at Arlington Aerospace Eng. Dept., Arlington, Texas.
Instrument Engineer Jan 1982 – Dec 1985
Wind tunnel instruments. Position used to help finance university studies.
Control Electronics Inc., Dallas, Texas.
Electronics Technician Jan 1980 – Jan 1982
Repaired circuit boards to help finance education.
C&M Electronics, Lore City, Ohio.
Electronics Technician June 1978 – June 1979
Repair of televisions and radios during vocational electronics high school.
PhD in Electrical Engineering Dec 2010
University of Texas at Dallas ~ Richardson, Texas
- Developed algorithm for TMS320 based camera system for measurement and feedback control of Magnetic Resonance Imaging scanners. The system measures six degrees of freedom patient motion using a single camera in a restricted geometry and harsh electrical environment in real time. In-camera image processing was implemented to reduce the bandwidth of data transmitted local to the scanner RF receiver, thus eliminating interference with the reconstructed images.
Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering Dec 2001
University of Texas at Arlington ~ Arlington, Texas
- Thesis – designed innovative device to detect 2 micro-Ohm GSR signals.
- Graduated with 95% average on projects.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Mathematics May 1985
University of Texas at Arlington ~ Arlington, Texas
- Single-camera motion measurement and monitoring for magnetic resonance applications, CONFIDENTIAL
- Improving optical contact for functional near‑infrared brain spectroscopy and imaging with brush optodes, CONFIDENTIAL