- January 17, 2014
Improve Your IT Recruiting With This CIO!
As an engineering, scientific, IT and technical recruiter it is my duty to keep my eyes and ears open for the best candidates to meet your technical recruitment needs. As a result, if you have an IT opening for a CIO, this candidate can meet your technical recruitment needs!
CHIEF INFORMATION OFFICER (CIO)
A results-oriented Information Technology executive with over 24 years of extensive and broad-based management experience with Fortune 500 companies. Proven ability to effectively deliver mission critical business systems. Strong background in global business systems applications, business consolidation and integration, cost reduction, energy efficiency and budget administration. Skilled in building consensus across all management levels by applying a ‘Think Straight, Talk Straight’ approach to developing creative systems solutions that improve business operations and maximize profitability. Demonstrated ability to train and mentor senior IT leaders.
• IT/Business Alignment
• Strategic and Business Planning
• Budget and Cost Management
• Business Systems Portfolio Management
• Supply Chain Management Systems
• Project Management
• Change and Risk Management
• Large Scale Implementations
• Leadership Training and Mentoring
• Business Acquisition/Divestiture Management
• Business Reengineering/Process Management
• IT Compliance and Security
• IT Vendor Management and Alignment
• Infrastructure/Data Center Management
M.S. Business Management/Industrial Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa-1978
B.S. Marketing, University of Illinois, Champaign, Illinois-1974
ANIXTER INC., Glenview, Illinois 1997-10/2013
A Fortune 500 company that is an industry leading $6.6 billion global wholesale distributor of communication and security products, electrical wire and cable products, fasteners, and other small “C” Class inventory components.
Executive Vice President and Chief Information Officer
Reported to the Chief Executive Officer. Responsible for the supervision of all IT processes and management personnel, while serving as an active member of the executive management team. Oversaw all global data center operations and infrastructure, management training, systems integration, web-based customer applications, and the company’s custom global business systems platform.
• Established a multi-tiered Exec IT Prioritization process to ensure alignment of IT resources and limited IT investment dollars to both long and near term business goals.
• Transformed the IT organization from a siloed systems maintenance and support role to a shared services team
that aligned I/S resources to high priority corporate initiatives.
• Modified existing supply chain legacy systems, including reengineering the end user look and feel, and implementing new business systems applications for warehouse management, transportation management, customer forecasting, vendor scheduling and bar code (JIT) scanning.
– Consolidated 80% of order fulfillment from 12 regional and 34 local distribution centers to 6 regional
distribution centers for the North America ECS and Wire & Cable business operations.
– Improved inventory accuracy from 82% to 98+%, eliminating the need for annual physical inventories.
– Decreased operating expenses by approximately 15%.
– Improved data entry accuracy and reduced order entry labor through bar code scanning (JIT) solutions for OEM business operations. This application supports more than $300 million in annual sales revenue.
– Reduced training time for new hires from 3+ months to 2 weeks via legacy systems reengineering.
• Developed EDI and web based applications enabling systems and business processes that closely align customers to Anixter’s business operations, while reducing costs for both.
– Expanded customer EDI integration from 3 customers and $150k revenue to 500+ customers with
approximately $750 million in annual revenue.
– Improved services for contract customers through self-service order entry, order tracking, inventory
visibility and pricing support web sites.
– Grew online sales to $150+ million annually through the web based customer contract application.
• Managed all global data centers, networks, disaster recovery, IT Security and Compliance.
– Consolidated or closed 27 data centers of various sizes, located throughout the world.
– Lowered the global network costs by $10+ million through global contract negotiations.
– Reduced data loss exposure from a worse case of 36 hours to a matter of minutes.
– Improved disaster recovery time frame from 24 hours to less than 8 hours.
– Implemented a Going Green Strategy through server virtualization and energy efficiency steps, thus
lowering data center operation costs.
• Reduced staff turnover from mid-teens to 2-3% annually.
• Managed a very tight annual Global IT budget (ranging from $35M to $66M) that was historically targeted at 1% of sales revenue.
• Managed the ‘right sizing’ of the IT organization multiple times, due to economic conditions, to its current headcount of 320 professionals.
• Defined and managed a succession plan including training and mentoring of senior IT leaders.
• Reported to the Board of Directors annually on systems’ status, compliance and risk management.
• Provided systems for Global Financial Management and Regulatory Management.
– Lowered corporate A/P headcount by 50% through automation tools.
– Developed software tools to monitor global trading restrictions.
• Implemented a critical business strategy which involved moving acquired companies onto Anixter’s Global Business Systems and Infrastructure Platforms.
– Reduced the number of systems acquired through business acquisitions from 27 to 6, resulting in cost
savings for hardware, software and headcount.
– Converted over 170 physical locations onto Anixter’s Global Systems Platforms.
– Managed the systems transition for two major business divisions which were sold to other companies.
McDONALD’S CORPORATION, Oakbrook, Illinois 1992-1997
Vice President, Information Services
Reported to the Senior Vice President for McDonald’s Global Information Services. Responsible for the development and support of global business systems applications for both corporate and restaurant operations.
• Reduced restaurant site selection cycle times by 40% through a combination of new software tools and process management improvements.
• Added approximately $680 million in incremental sales due to the shortened restaurant development cycle time, while lowering associated costs by approximately $35 million.
• Consolidated the number of corporate store systems versions from 90 to 5, thus improving systems support and stability, while lowering support costs.
• Collaborated with suppliers to streamline supply chain processes, resulting in $5+ million in food cost savings
• Improved IT development productivity, and subsequently reduced reliance on external consultants, resulting in an annual savings of $4 million.
• Participated as a member of the original management team that developed the ‘Made for You’ delivery model that was implemented across company and franchise restaurants.
ANDERSEN CONSULTING (now Accenture), Chicago, Illinois 1978-1992
Partner, Products Division: 1989-1992
Reported to the Central Division Senior Partner for the Products Group. Responsible for sales of consulting services, and management of projects, with annual targeted sales objectives of $4+ million.
• Clients included Medline, Baxter Healthcare, Pella Windows, and Ryerson Steel (part of Inland Steel).
• Mentored Andersen management and staff on skills development and career planning.
Manager, Products Division: 1983-1989
Reported to various Partners and Senior Partners depending on projects and clients. Responsible for assisting Partners with the sale of services and the day-to-day management of project activities and critical deliverables.
• Member of the original pilot team assigned to build a process reengineering practice with a focus on simplifying business operations for manufacturing and distribution firms.
• Lead Instructor for Project Management Methodology at Andersen’s Training Facility in St. Charles, Illinois.
Staff Consultant, Products Division: 1978-1983
Responsible for designing, programming, testing and implementing business systems for Andersen’s client base.
ADDITIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
Instructor in Business Management, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 1976-1978
• Taught three classes per quarter while also working on a Master’s Degree.
Quality Assurance Foreman/General Foreman, International Harvester, Rock Island, IL 1974-1976
• Responsible for product quality throughout the assembly process of farm tractors.