Director Materials Research
Acushnet Company is the global leader in the design, development, manufacture and distribution of performance-driven golf products. Today, we are the steward of two of the most revered brands in golf – Titleist, one of golf’s leading performance equipment brands, and FootJoy, one of golf’s leading performance wear brands.
We believe we are the most authentic and enduring company in the golf industry. Our mission – to be the performance and quality leader in every golf product category in which we compete.
Director Material Research will be report in to the Senior Vice President of Golf Ball Research & Development, and will lead a team of chemists, engineers and technicians in the discovery (sourcing), development, compounding and implementation of new materials, and related processes, used to develop and manufacture the Acushnet family of golf balls. The Director will ensure the team operate with quality and innovation as their guiding principles. The Director will act as a key business partner to a range of internal customers, including Manufacturing/ Operations, Quality Assurance, Product Development, and Sales & Marketing, by delivering and providing education on relevant materials and chemical information.
- Propose and direct new materials research and applications geared towards developing new or improved products and manufacturing processes.
- Represent Research & Development on the Supply Chain Steering Committee to facilitate the development of new sources of materials, including second suppliers. Support and expedite the qualification of new material vendors.
- Direct the activities and evolution of the Analytical Laboratory, including determining appropriate allocation of the resource with internal customers such as Product Development, Quality Assurance, and Operations Support. Prioritizes the development of most needed new and improved capabilities.
- Execute timely and effective investigations of issues related to the manufacture or performance of golf balls that are believed to be associated with material (chemical) properties.
- Continuously expand the depth and integration of raw material data within Acushnet’s proprietary information systems. Ensures systems are updated regularly with an accurate and complete listing of materials available for golf ball formulation work.
- Prepare and provide materials/chemistry related presentations to Acushnet internal audiences for the purposes of expanding the knowledge base of our staff.
- With focused determination, create invention records with a purpose of retaining and broadening our Freedom to Operate within golf ball design and manufacturing. Support/direct the Legal Department throughout the patent application process and IP defense efforts.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, preferably with a polymer focus, is required; Master’s Degree in Chemistry, Polymer Science or closely related field is also required. PhD preferred.
- 10-15 years’ progressively responsible experience working in materials research and product development is required. Experience working in a consumer products / end-use manufacturing environment is desirable.
- 3-5 years’ experience managing a team of scientific professionals is preferred.
- Experience with polymers and polymer blends, including thermoplastic and thermosetting polyurethanes, ionomers and crosslinked polybutadiene, is required. Must have functional knowledge of the typical analysis techniques employed with polymeric materials.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with other functional areas to implement new materials and troubleshoot materials issues in a production environment. Experience working effectively with materials vendors.
- Must be well acquainted with the game of golf and demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the relationships between the materials and design elements used in golf balls and the resulting product characteristics.
- Experience with Invention Record generation and patent application filings desirable.
- Experience with delivering presentations to a broad audience is preferred.
Strategic Search Corporation